Becoming a veterinary technician can be the hardest thing you will ever do. But after graduating it is one of the most rewarding jobs. This unique profession can be quite challenging. Vet Tech is a person you see assisting the veterinarian in the vet clinic while taking care of the patients.
A day in the vet clinic for every vet tech is full with activities, lots of them are not seen at first glance, but this person is doing so much and deserves appreciation and respect from the doctors and the pet owners. If you ask them they most certainly will answer that their job is pretty hard and demanding, often stressful and many times risky. However, almost every vet tech loves their job and of course they adore their patients.
When you ask them to finish the sentence: “You know you are a Vet Tech When…” you will get different answers. Here are some of the most insightful ones we got after conducting this fun experiment.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A VET TECH WHEN:
- Another tech asks if she smells like anal glands and you sniff her without hesitation.
- You find dog nail clippings in your bra.
- You get urine on you and it’s not the worst thing to have gotten on you that day.
- Abscesses are the best, but human children sneezing/coughing are a bit gross.
- You don’t need to go to the gym, because all your lifting gets done at work.
- You panic when you have to wear something other than scrubs to an event.
- You get grossed out if you go to a restaurant and find a human hair in your food but don’t mind if you find a dog/cat hair in your food when you are eating lunch at work!
- The doc asks you if the dog’s butt still smells like anal glands, and you sniff the dog’s butt to be sure it’s clean.
- The sign of any bump that looks remotely like it can be expressed easily anywhere on a dog excites you.
- You get pulled over on your way home from work and have to explain to the nice officer that the used needles in your pocket do not indicate a drug addiction.
- You’re pregnant and the thought of spaghetti makes you want to vomit but watching an abscess on a cow be drained is still satisfying.
- You meet a dog at the dog park and check its teeth/ears/eyes…and nails of course.